Hello, it’s been sometime since we last wrote a blog but you wouldn’t believe how busy we have been here at Dzihic. With us refocusing our efforts and doubling down on our affordable gym wear for men and women, our blogging has fallen to the way side. However, we’re back and with new articles to help you get healthier, fitter and saving money on affordable gym wear with the up and coming gym brand, Dzihic.
What is Functional Training and Traditional Training?
Let’s start with the obvious question of what is functional training and what is traditional training? Picture this, you wake up one morning, it’s 05:00AM and you’re getting ready to go to the gym. You start packing your weight lifting clothes and if you’re lucky you’ll have got a great deal on some affordable gym wear for men or women. You hop into your car, drive down to your local gym and as you walk in you notice guys doing bicep curls, leg extensions and tricep dips. These are traditional exercises and they are what make up traditional training.
Traditional training is strength training that focuses on individual muscle groups which is useful is a gym setting and a rehabilitation setting (I.E physio), but useless in a real world strength setting. The reason for this we will discuss later on.
Functional training on the other hand are movements which incorporate large and multiple muscle groups and have a direct impact on your daily life. This is because of the types of movements you make. Rather than just lifting, you actively push, pull, strike and carry.
The Benefits of Functional Training
A lot of affordable gym wear for men and women and general ethical sportswear gym brands create clothes for a gym setting with traditional movements in mind. Think of how many men or women you’ve seen wearing gym-rat or gorilla-back clothes doing curls or leg extensions at the gym. But other than atheistic, these exercises add little value to individuals.
So this natural leads us to the benefits of functional training.
- Improved bodily function:
- Our bodies are designed with certain movements in mind, these include the hinge, lunge, squat, etc. Traditional training restricts your body’s movement while functional training improves your overall bodily movement with restricting you. It’s also import to note that both machine and clothes can restrict your body’s movement, so ensure you wear weight lifting clothes which are stretchy and breathable.
- Increased strength:
- Now through traditional exercises you will naturally become stronger. However that strength is limited to that muscle set. I.E if you focus on tricep dips then your triceps will become stronger. However when you push something heavy, you never use just your triceps. Instead you use a combination of your tricep, bicep, shoulders and chest. That’s why functional movements through the use of medicine balls or kettlebells which incorporate multiple muscle groups achieve increased, useable, strength.
- Increased balance, coordination and posture and balance
- Building on the above point, one of the key benefits of functional training which many gym brands ignore is the increase in balance, coordination, posture and balance that comes from functional movements. For example with kettle bell swings, individuals increase the strength in their lower back and core supporting their posture while also supporting their balance support.
- Reduce risk of injury
- Through functional exercises, your body is better able to cope with physical stress reducing the likelihood of being injured. This is because functional trainman mimics common body movement strengthens not just the muscles but the soft tissue ligaments and connective tissue. All of this makes your body stronger and more durable keeping injuries at bay.
Weight Lifting Clothes for Functional Training
Now that we know what functional training and traditional training is and the benefits of functional training. We now get onto a key point to any workout and that is the weight lifting clothes. Many brands, whether gym brands or general sportswear brands focus on the atheistic aspect of clothing. I.E how you look when working out rather than the actual functional movement available within the clothes.
As an affordable gym wear for women and men brand, Dzihic prioritises functional movement. Whether you’re doing bear crawls, medicine ball slams or kettle bell swings. Our sustainably made clothing is designed to get the most and best out of you.
Just like isolation machine which shoehorn you into a set movement. The clothes you wear can do the same. Whether it be shorts or joggers which are to tight not letting you squat deep enough or a workout t-shirt which doesn’t let you extend your arms high enough. Weight lifting clothing which allow for a full body range of movements is key. If you can get this from an afforded gym wear for men and women gym brand like Dzihic. Then all the better.
What’s Right For You, Functional or Traditional Training?
So we come to the final point and that is, should you focus on functional training or traditional training? Like many things in life, the answer is neither one or the other. Meaning that you need to incorporate both as both play their part in your training programme.
Functional training will provide the benefits mentioned above, but traditional training will workout the gaps in your strength which functional training can’t. Similarly part of the gym journey is the physical changes that come with it and the fact is traditional training, aesthetically speaking, changes your body quicker than functional training. For some, being able to lift heavier objects in life is enough to keep them going and push them further. However for others bigger arms or a bigger chest is needed to keep them going and although neither is better than the other. It just highlights a good mix of both is needed.